Machine Locked Software License Key
This license is intended to work for single user. This license key is installed in form of software. AuthGuru licensing uses combination of Mac ID and Hard Disk unique ID of the machine to make it unique for every machine. This way this is machine bound license. Software license key is not portable. The software license resides in encrypted form in the internal memory, which is not accessible by the end-user.
- Machine bound or machine dependent
- Requires machine information for which license is to be issued
- Won't repair if machine gets formatted
- Doesn’t work if Mac ID or Hard disk changes
- Less costlier than hardware dongle
USB Dongle or Hardware License Key
A hardware dongle key is portable license. It looks like normal flash drive or pen drive and connects to a machine via standard USB port. Each hardware dongle key has unique ID on which the license is locked.
- Machine independent
- No machine information required
- Detachable - doesn't effect if computer crashes
- Portable - can work on more than one machine but one at a time
- Costlier than software license
Machine locked USB license Key
This is combination of above two license keys – software license and hardware USB key (SL + HL). This provides greater security. License key works only when the programmed HL key is connected to the machine where designated SL key is installed.
- Strong combination
- Costlier than SL and HL Key
- Dual dependency - machine and USB dongle
- Won't work if machine gets crashes
- Rarely used due to cost and complexity